Wednesday, February 22, 2012

MERCER: The Making of a Comic Book Cover







So, getting back on track...

You deserve two posts this week as I was unable to do one last week. Here's the second :) ;

After my first two initial character sketches, and countless hours working out the details of the story, I felt it was time to do a pin up of the comic. Something that stood out, told a story in itself, and looked cool.

I had a clear picture of what I wanted, and began the initial sketch. This one was done at A5 size. (Picture 1)


I then copied it and blew it up to A3, then light boxed it onto a comic art board (Picture 2)

When I completed this, it was over to the talented Ander Zarate (http://zaratus.deviantart.com/) to work his magic with the colors.

When an artist (or atleast me) draws a picture they sometimes have a clear and precise view of what they intend the final colors to look like. To be honest, sometimes its not entirely clear, but I know what I want when I see it. This sometimes means re-work. This one was was clear to me, and was only re-worked once, and then I asked the background to be lightened as I wanted our hero MERCER to 'pop'. (Picture 3)

I think Ander did an amazing job.



Hope you like it!

Best

Picci8





No comments:

Post a Comment